Refer to Distillation Process after learning a formula and wishing to use it.
To begin the process you must make an ask the ST ask to confirm it due to the wide variety of alchemical approaches. To learn a formula one must use the roll in accordance with the distillation method attribute and any skill that is applicable. The difficulty will be Formula level + 1 and can only be done once a week, and must be done in accordance with how long it takes to learn, the rolls may vary from week to week. You cannot learn more than one formula per week.
- You cannot use your own or other thin-blood’s blood for learning disciplines learned either from Discipline Affinity or the thin-blood’s Predator Type.
- You can use multiple distillation methods, but you must relearn a formula if using another method. Ex. knowing Far Reach with Fixatio means you cannot use it via Athanor unless you learn it again for that method.
- When purchasing a new level in any distillation style you pay the cost of 5*level, new formulas of a level they already have are 3*level. Thin-bloods are not limited to a number of formulae.
- Non-discipline alchemy, the character must have a reason to start pursuing the idea of the next formulae they are going to learn. This is innate to them, but there is no logical train of thought of what’s next, due to the nature of thin-blood alchemy being unique and varied in its abilities. There are no tomes that detail the formulae or what they can do; instead it’s an amalgam or knock-off of other disciplines, which the thin-blood must have knowledge of in order to come up with the idea. (Example: Seeing/Hearing the Tremere Ritual of Flight leading to Airborne Momentum) They can also talk to other alchemists to learn about these concepts and begin their research as well. Do not use meta information to start learning non-discipline Alchemy.
- Ways to research include but are not limited to: Poring through old alchemy libraries for inspiration; tasting expeditions; and performing experiments based on lived experiences. You can also trade formulae with other alchemists, but understand that the formula is not going to work immediately and will take an amount of tweaking in the game (represented by the learning rolls) to understand how the other alchemist did it as each thin-blood has different methodologies.
- Ways to research counterfeit disciplines: The kindred must see the discipline in action or have it explained in great detail by another who possesses it. They may then reflect on this, and use notes or other methods to learn how to harness this ability. In this case, the use of a roll of resolve+insight/composure, diff equaling the formula level +1, may be used to meditate on the discipline itself; or they may follow the methods below.
Stamina + (appropriate skill)
Banned Alchemy type due to the sheer amount of stains given with our torture chronicle tenet.
Intelligence + (appropriate skill)
Example of the Learning Processes
- After being given notes from a fellow thin-blood they attempt to learn alchemy themselves.
Character(s): June Lear
Overall Goal: Learn Hot Sauce, Level 2 Alchemy
Situation: She was given notes for this after Alex lit her lab on fire, she’s finally going to go over them.
Additional Relevant Information: N/A
Your suggestion?: Intelligence + Science + Chem Spec to understand the chemical reactions forming and why it creates the type of fire it does based off the notes she was given. Diff 3 given it’s a level 2 formula.
- After experiencing torpor they want to learn Awaken the Sleeper. They will make a series of rolls, for a level 5 it is 6 IRL weeks, so they will make one roll each week. If they fail, they are unable to try again that week.
Character(s): June Lear
Overall Goal: Hit Level 5 Alchemy with Awaken the Sleeper
Situation: June has experienced Torpor and wants to develop an alchemical potion based on it aka Awaken the Sleeper
Additional Relevant Information: She knows the different types, has experienced one before and seen it with her own eyes on another kindred, and knows of the rumors that spread about thin-bloods bringing the end of the world and the danger of dead sleepers.
Your suggestion?: She has to study it for 6 weeks and must be with intelligence pools as she uses Fixatio. I’ll list my Week break down for her
Week 1: Study blood from her own Aggravated Torpor, int+science+chemistry diff 6.
Week 2: Research occult relation on agg Torpor within Seven Gables, int+occult diff 6
Week 3: Study blood from her own hunger torpor, int+science+chemistry diff 6
Week 4: Research occult relation on hunger Torpor within Seven Gables, int+occult diff 6
Week 5: Study blood from her own voluntary Torpor, int+science+chemistry diff 6
Week 6: Research occult relation on voluntary Torpor within Seven Gables, int+occult diff 6
Level 1 Formulae
Learning : 1 IRL Day of researching, 1 roll
Level 2 Formulae
Learning : 1 IRL week, 1 roll
Level 3 Formulae
Learning : 2 IRL weeks, 2 rolls
Level 4 Formulae
Learning : 4 IRL weeks, 4 rolls
Level 5 Formulae
Learning : 6 IRL weeks, 6 rolls